Back to Articles

We are installing a new restaurant on the ground floor of an existing building. Which code should our plans follow?

For alterations of existing buildings, the building owner has the option to use the 1968 building code or earlier depending on the original construction date of the building. There are exceptions to this for certain worktypes and trades.

Typically all Mechanical, Plumbing, Fire Protection, Structural, and Accessibility related work will need to comply with the 2014 while general construction and architectural work may utilize the older code as applicable.